I went from Lingstitute to Washington DC, where I did some internet linguistic consulting work, and met up with some DC linguists, including Ann Friedman and several members of the Planet Word Advisory Board, which I am now on as well! I’m excited to be getting involved with this project to create a linguistics museum.
I then went to SpaceWitchCon, in the woods of North Carolina, where I ran a very fun session about internet linguistics (and also did a lot of singalongs and crafting and other excellent nerdery).
Later in the month, I was on live TV with Al Jazeera’s The Stream, talking about emoji (watch here), and a post of mine, about how to talk with your academic heroes and other people you admire, was featured on Thesis Whisperer.
This month’s Lingthusiasm episode was about Layers of meaning: Cooperation, humour, and Gricean Maxims, and the bonus episode was about language play. We also reached our Patreon interview goal, so you can look forward to hearing guest linguists on Lingthusiasm shortly!
- “What is the kind that your book is the first of its?”
- One of the many ways in which my name is NOT spelled
- Coming up with a clever/nerdy wifi network name
- Novel sentences: bats in a fiberglass triceratops
- Partial eclipse of the heart
- A timely case for not calling yourself a “grammar nazi”
- Linguistics versions of the distracted boyfriend meme: “I’d tap that” and “Arrival“
- Anyone know of work on autocorrect affecting regionalisms?
- I have a new favourite French idiom
- The history of dictionary lookup trends
Selected blog posts:
- A very long list of linguistics movies, documentaries, and TV show episodes
- Linguistics jobs: interview with a text analyst and quote from Bringing Linguistics to Work
- Linguist parents and prototype theory
- Structural ambiguity: the sad and lonely man science has left you
- How many times people repeat the “u” when saying “fuck” on twitter
- Playing wax cylinder recordings of Indigenous languages with lasers
- Is your child texting about phonetics?? meme
- How to create nice-looking syntax trees using phpsyntaxtree
- “The idea that intelligence is linked to pronunciation is a legacy of colonial thinking”
- What a border collie taught a linguist about language
- Deaf babies, when exposed to ASL, start to babble with their hands
- Question mark in parentheses (?)
- A jumping wug with confetti
- Kilroy Was Here: a proto-meme
This month’s photo is a sign from SpaceWitch: the rooms were divided into even and odd sections, so I took this picture for those times when you can’t even anymore: here’s some even!