It’s hard for podcasts about technical or specialist topics to strike the right balance between rigour and accessibility, but Lingthusiasm manages to. It feels like I’m listening in on a conversation between two of my most interesting friends :) (Amelia June on iTunes)
Lingthusiasm has regular monthly half-hour episodes on the third Thursday of the month, as well as monthly bonus content via Patreon. Each episode also has a shownotes page, with links to articles, memes, and so on discussed in the episode, and a transcript.
- Speaking a common language won’t lead to world peace
- Pronouns: singular “they”, other languages, and solving the gay fanfiction pronoun problem
- A lingthusiastic review of the alien linguistics movie Arrival
- Inside the Word of the Year vote
- Colour words around the world and inside your brain
- All the sounds in all the languages – the International Phonetic Alphabet
- Kids these days aren’t ruining language
- People who make dictionaries: Review of Kory Stamper’s book Word by Word
- The bridge between words and sentences — Constituency
- Swearing and pseudo-swears
- How to teach yourself linguistics
- How to explain linguistics to employers (text chat)
- Doggo linguistics behind the scenes
Want to help pick the topic of our next bonus episode? Support us on Patreon!