We launched a new round of linguistics-themed merch on Lingthusiasm: scarves with a subtle tree diagram print, and t-shirts and other items that say Heck Yeah Descriptivism and Heck Yeah Language Change. Plus, the IPA scarves in more colours: teal, grey, black, and pale pink. For more pictures and to order.
This month’s Lingthusiasm main episode was about Sentences with baggage: Presuppositions and the bonus episode was about Roses are red and other connections between poems and memes.
I tweeted my way through The Prodigal Tongue: Lynne Murphy’s new book about British vs American English (twitter thread version, blog post version)
I gave a talk at McGill about careers in linguistics: slides.
I put up again my semi-annual call for papers and student work about internet linguistics!
- Your International Phonetic Alphabet vowels bracket that you didn’t know you needed
- It happened: I got recognized by my voice while out in public
- A monoscuit, aka a cookie
- Myths don’t come from ignorance, but from values (a short #lingcomm thread)
- A very cute linguistdog in an IPA scarf, 12/10 would softly howl the vowels to
- The latest in bad emoji research: I’m literally writing a book about why this is complete 🐂💩
- “What if Guess Who, but for the International Phonetic Alphabet?”
- The academic thing where you title your paper “Catchy fun bit: Serious description of topic”
Selected blog posts:
- A Maximal Onset Principle joke
- On learning Aboriginal languages as a non-Aboriginal person
- Structural ambiguity: “Fake degree claims dog prominent Spanish politicians.” and “Nicole, who never saw a dog and didn’t smile” (diagrammed)
- Heaven’s Vault: a videogame that’s “like Guitar Hero for linguistics”
- Learning Javanese is like learning 3 languages
- IPA chart Battleship
- “Utterly linguisted”
- xkcd and the linguist meteorologist
- Latin roots in English words that ultimately go back to the same Proto-Indo-European roots as native Germanic English words
- Why drawings aren’t universal communication
- A masters thesis about tumblr orthography
- A paper about tagging practices on tumblr
Here’s a photo of one of the new tree diagram scarves, in cream, hanging out on a tree.
You must be logged in to post a comment.