Internet linguistics: Why online language matters. Public Lecture at the Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language summer school, Canberra, Australia. November 2018.
Emoji are Gesture at the second EmojiCon, Brooklyn, July 2018.
Word Curation: Dictionaries, Tech, and the Future. Panel at SXSW Interactive with Erin McKean, Ben Zimmer, and Jane Solomon, March 2017.
Wayyy Longgg: Orthotactics and Phonology in Lengthening on Twitter. With Jeff Lamontagne at the Linguistic Society of America annual meeting, Austin, Texas, January 2017. Slides at bit.ly/longggg
The Mistake Brands Make with Emoji (And 3 Ways to do Better) at the first EmojiCon, San Francisco, November 2016
The linguistics of billions of emoji at Dawn or Doom, a Purdue University conference about the future of technology, October 2016. Video:
I talked at Dictionary.com in conversation with lexicographer Jane Solomon in April 2016. You can listen to an excerpt of the talk on soundcloud to hear my thoughts on the internet era of English.
I do workshops for linguists on figuring out who you want to reach and how to make linguistics lively and engaging for them. LingComm talks and workshops at the following universities:
- Australian Linguistics Society annual meeting, Adelaide, December 2018
- Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language summer school, Australian National University, Canberra, November 2018
- Linguistic Summer Institute, University of Kentucky, Lexington, July 2017 (class notes on my blog)
- University of Kent, Cambridge, UK, May 2016 (bit.ly/explainling-kent)
- SOAS, London, May 2016
- University of Edinburgh, May 2016
- 25th Annual Linguistics Symposium at Cal State Fullerton (keynote)
- Georgetown University, Washington D.C., January 2016
- University of Ottawa, November 2015
- University of Toronto, November 2015
I’ve also judged the Linguistic Society of America’s Five-Minute Linguist competition: lively and engaging talks by linguists for the general public, 2017, 2018, 2019.
Linguistics in the Public Ear: Outreach via Podcasts and Radio. Panel that I organized at the Linguistic Society of America annual meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah. January 2018. I also co-presented a talk on this panel about Lingthusiasm, with my cohost Lauren Gawne. More about the panel.
Stumbling into Linguistics: Blogs and Wikipedia. Talk on a panel about Getting High Schoolers into Linguistics, which I also co-organized. Linguistic Society of America annual meeting, Austin, Texas. January 2017. My slides at bit.ly/lingwiki-lsa2017
Calling All #Tumblinguists. On panel Linguistics Outreach via Online Media, Linguistics Society of America (LSA) annual meeting, Portland, OR. January 2015.